What is workplace culture? This is essentially the personality of a workplace and every organisation has one. It determines the attitude, energy and productivity of a working environment, and part of your job will be to fit in. Your employer will likely have judged you to be a good match for the organisation’s culture during the interview process. It’s worth asking where you can find information about the culture and values of the organisation and the principles that they apply.
What is appropriate workplace behaviour? It’s possible, and is certainly encouraged, to become friends with your colleagues, but the workplace also tends to be a place of more formal behaviour and standards. This means that the way you dress, talk and behave needs to be professional.
1. Dress appropriately Even if your workplace doesn’t require you to wear a suit or uniform, it’s important to show you’re ready to work. Gauge what your colleagues wear and make sure your clothes are clean and neat.
2. Pay attention Communication is about listening as well as talking. By paying attention and trying your best to concentrate, especially when people are explaining new tasks or processes, you’ll know what people expect of you and you’ll pick things up quicker.
3. Ask questions It’s okay to ask questions or take notes for reference. This will show you’re interested and engaged in your work.
4. Follow the rules Workplace rules exist so that everyone stays happy and safe. Following them shows your honesty and integrity and lets your employer know they can trust you.
5. Be part of the team Teamwork plays a huge role in the workplace. It’s important to get on with the people you work with as you’ll be spending a lot of time with them. Make an effort to interact with them and get to know them.
Figuring out the culture of a new workplace and finding your way in it takes time and nobody will expect you to nail it on day one. However, by thinking about your behaviour and being enthusiastic and open to new ideas and ways of working, you can make your first impression a positive one.
Ry’n ni’n ymfalchïo yn ein partneriaethau cadarn, a hynny os yn chwilio am rôl newydd o fewn Isadeiledd TG, talent i'ch tîm neu’n ystyried ymuno â Franklin Fitch. Pam ddim dechrau partneriaeth heddiw?
Copyright © 2019 Franklin Fitch | All rights Reserved. Designed by Venn Digital
Please indiciate whether you would like us to hold onto your details in order to keep you up to date with relevant opportunities
Or if you prefer email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like us to hold onto your details so that we can keep you up to date with relevant opportunities?